Wednesday, March 30, 2011

While there is perhaps a province in which the photograph can tell us nothing more than what we see with our own eyes, there is another in which it proves to us how little our eyes permit us to see.

So, Mlles. Smith and Johnston and I were really excited about the photo shoot today. I saw Mlle. Hopkins and verified that she could indeed take Mlle. Jang's place since Mlle. Jang wanted me to take her pictures after she got her braces off.

Mlle. Smith came to my house first. We re-curled her hair. She looked lovely with the dress on even though the dress was pink. She looked even prettier with red lipstick. And then Mlle. Johnston came, undressed and un-made-up, but she only took five minutes to get ready. They both looked very lovely, and I felt kind of plain in comparison because I was only wearing my bikini and a peasant top over and they were decked in maxi dresses, with curled hair, and red lipstick. Mlle. Hopkins called and apologized for not being able to come because something urgent came up that last minute. We ran late to the beach and had to take Mlle. Johnston's car since her car was big enough for the vintage chair that I dragged along. Well, we didn't even use it.

The beach was horrible! It was cold, and the tide rose every five minutes, which made it hard for me to take pictures. Mlles. Smith and Johnston have never met, so they were kind of awkward together, but luckily they followed my instruction very nicely, although Mlle. Johnston constantly looked annoyed and older than she was because the corners of her mouth were always pushed back. I managed to make her relax a couple of times and those photos turned out great. Sometimes she over-posed, in contrast to Mlle. Smith, who would sometimes wandered off frame just because. Sometimes she looks dead in the pictures, but when she doesn't, she looks GREAT! And once we just hit a spot where I didn't know what I wanted them to do and so they just stood around awkwardly. So I suggested that Mlle. Johnston pick up my vintage camera (well, technically, it is Mme. Mills'), and I'll take pictures of her trying to take pictures of me with it. Well, she's not a photographer, so she held the camera like this:
When you're supposed to hold it like this:

This way allows one hand to support the lens and steady the camera and the other to readily cover the shutter button. First thing I learned in photography class.

Anyways, while that was going on, Mlle. Smith wandered off (surprise surprise) and next thing I knew, she was hiking back toward us with a huge-ass stick in her hand. I was like, "Stop right there! Lean on the stick, please! [Mlle. Johnston], go sit in front of her." Things kind of went up after that.

At the beach, Mlle. Johnston got cut. All of hair got messed up. We shaved this morning because of the weather and the sand rubbed against that the wrong way and it hurt. And then my brother called and said my mother called and she said she was coming. An hour ago. So we rushed home and Mlle. Smith rushed the chair back upstairs since she said I was a twig and couldn't possibly carry it. Then I looked at the pictures and my heart nearly dropped. There only a couple good ones out of about 120 photos for how much trouble I've caused them. I mean, they said they really liked modeling for me, but I know it's time consuming and hard, and I greatly appreciate them taking the time to do their hair, make-up, and dress the way I've requested.

Anyways, I may not be a great photographer, but I am one heck of an editor (just saying). I went through each picture and tried to improve it to the best of my abilities and ended up with about 16 decent to really good ones. I'm just happy I have more than ten photos to prove all the trouble we've went through and a great day that we had.





I'm so glad I have pretty friends.

But seriously, taking pictures at the beach is a pain! Everything is so unpredictable and overwhelming. It's not a feeling I like to have, but something I want to master. But working with Mlles. Smith and Johnston kind of makes me wonder if having three models is a good idea when working with two is this exhausting. Well, there's always things to overcoming. But I probably won't do more than five models. Four is too even.

No comments:

Post a Comment