Friday, January 7, 2011

Do not regret growing older; it is a privilege denied for many

Poor Mlle. Smith. She's a magnet for weirdos. She has not have a single normal boy like her in all four years--all those who like her are weirdos, kids with autism, and gay guys.

Today was terribly funny. I was waiting for her at her locker when Monsieur Greg (I don't know his last name) came by and just stood there beside her. Okay, creepy much? So we walked together to the ABS Bookeeper, and he followed us still. I tried to make the situation as awkward for him as he was making it for her, so I babbled on and on and on about how cute Mrs. McElroy's sons were. He didn't get the hint. Mlle. Smith was too nice to say things and exclude him outright, but she fed me ideas for my babbling. Anyone with us must have thought that I was annoying and moronic. I was fed up with babbling on like a moron, so I slowed down a little. He jumped in at that opportunity and told Mlle. Smith that they should hang out. She made a pitiful face at me when he wasn't looking, and I told him we had plans for this whole weekend. Good thing she caught on and didn't correct me like she did in Italy when I told her to switch seats with Mlle. Corwin away from a pervert on pretense that Mlle. Corwin and I were sharing a meal. Monsieur Greg wasn't deterred and gave her his phone number without asking for her--good for us; bad for him since that's like, setting yourself up for a rejection. Mlle. Smith developed dislike for tall people starting then, I think. We had a great laugh later with Mlle. Velasco and Mlle. Yasakova because M. Greg's little brother followed Mlle. Smith's little sister around for a while.

Mlle. Smith and Velasco went with me to the nursing home today to work on arts and crafts with the seniors. We had a lovely time with the old people making bookmarks. Mlle. Smith was especially loved by a lady with cerebral palsy--I think--because my dear friend knew sign language and could communicate with her better than I ever could. While I and Mlle. Smith helped Mme. Kelly, the elderly lady with cerebral palsy, Mlle. Velasco was trying to fix her sister's outrageous blob of red glitter glue while the girl chattered away mindlessly with Mme. Mary, who was just happy to have someone to talk to. Afterwards, us girls went to my car to wait for Mlle. Velasco's father since it was cold outside and my car had a heater. We made small talks, and somewhere along there, I discovered that there's so much more to Mlle. Smith than meet the eyes.

She has a cousin who is deaf, so her whole family knows sign language and read up on things regarding the disabilities. She was telling us about the controversial aspects of cochlear implants and told us the exact facts and details, which was very unlike her usual whishy-washy self. I'm glad there is something that interests her besides art.

Speaking of art, she will be taking painting with me 6th period next semester! Yay!

For some reason, I've been getting tired earlier and earlier each day. My father blames it on the lack of meat in my diet, but that is not why. I don't think I have been eating well. I need to stop being so lazy and start eating full meals. It's a full day tomorrow with the art show and everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment